Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Blog 7


In Red Lodge, MT at the Coffee Factory...just arrived from Yellowstone via the Bear Tooth Hwy.  It was a beautiful drive...the temp at 11,000 ft was in the 50's and down here in the valley at 7,000 ft it's in the mid 80's.

Right now I am waiting for a call from the Triumph Motorcycle dealership in Missoula, MT about a rear signal lamp for the bike. The right one broke, fell in front of the exhaust, and was melted.  I feel sure that the bike will have to be in tip-top shape to be allowed across into Canada. 

I just got the call from Missoula and it will Thursday before they can get the signal light so I will probably depart Missoula Friday morning. That will leave me with averaging between 250 and 300 miles a day to reach Dawson by the 21st of June which is the only deadline for the entire trip. I keep reminding myself that “it's about the journey".

 








I went through The Teton's and Yellowstone and as always it was beautiful.....saw lots of wildlife but I am most fascinated by their geology.  Well, anyway, I really just passed through because there were a lot of tourists and that means lots of stopping and waiting, waiting and sweating, and standing on one foot.....well you get the picture. I really prefer Yellowstone in the fall....September is beautiful.  The elk are bugling and the bear feel the urge to gorge themselves and are on the move. Yellowstone is one of the few places on earth where there is just nothing else like it.
 
  

Well, I have to get a move on and start thinking about where I  will camp tonight or more accurately get out there and see what presents itself...it is always perfect.

3 comments:

  1. Is the air as crisp and clean as I remember it? Truly you are experiencing GOD's country. The pictures are fantastic, but actually being there is an incredible sensory and spiritual experience. My heart misses living out west...Blow some kisses for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jodie, well I'm in Missoula this morning having a repair done the bike....Missoula is a college town home to Univ. MT and it is very progressive....it is said to be the perfect mix of Hippies and Hicks.....this is my second time to be here and I love the place. At 6:00am this morning when I climbed out of the tent it was 35F and there was a nice frost on the tent. But with the humidity low temperature swings are not as hard to bare as back in beautiful idyllic Fairhope. The air is always fresh there is no litter to speak of (I can't recall seeing any) the people are proud of their environment and it shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Them some serious elevations brother. Air kinda thin? Is the bike running any different in that lean air? Do you deflate tires? I mean I know you're not in outer space but.... Meeting any interesting people? You're gonna end up being Johnny McGiver before this trip is over. Really enjoying your journey. What memories you are making? What the biggest breath taking moment so far? You should give us one great impression of each day...or week. One awsome moment you know you will never forget.

    ReplyDelete