Thursday, June 28, 2012

Day 28


June 26

Well guess what???...the plan has changed again.  I'm still in Anchorage but will be leaving for Fairbanks in the morning.  Michael O'Donovan, the Irishman from Australia I met in Lake Louise, AB, and I are planning to leave Fairbanks for Deadhorse Thursday the 28th and ride together.  The trip will likely take four days.  It is 500 miles one way of mostly gravel roads 350 miles of which are within the Arctic Circle and the weather is very unpredictable.  It can be 60F, beautiful, and sunny or 30F and raining with gale force winds or both. Anyway this was my goal to accomplish on the trip.

After getting back from Deadhorse I will probably need to make a trip to Tok where the Postmaster is holding a set of tires that I shipped to myself before leaving L.A.

Next week I plan to spend several days in Denali National Park.  That may be better since the forecast is for clouds and rain over the next few days and would leave the Denali obscured by the clouds.  Last night two brothers on motorcycles from Utah that I stayed with in the cabin at Haines were here at the Alaska Backpacker Inn.  They had just come from Denali and gave me a lot of information about where to stay and what to see.

I plan to get an early start in the morning for the 6 - 7 hour drive to Fairbanks in good weather. If it's raining and foggy it could easily take 10 or more.  Oh well this is what I came for and I'm very glad that I dared to do this adventure.  More shall be revealed....

No comments:

Post a Comment