Thursday, June 21, 2012

Day 22


June 20

This day started about 36 hours ago. I stayed at Bear Creek Hostel in Haines, AK after sailing from Skagway. When I packed the bike and prepared to leave the hostel the morning of the 19th the bike would not idle. I tinkered with it and the bike would run right once but the next time it was started would not. After getting fuel I headed from Haines, AK to Haines Jct, YT...the bike ran fine but would not idle most of the time. At Haines Jct I had lunch then proceeded to Whitehorse where the plan was to spend the night then head to Dawson today, the 20th, for the Dusk 2 Dawn event of adventure motorcyclist.  Upon arriving in Whitehorse with the bike still not idling properly it became obvious that trying to drive in traffic with this problem was just not safe. 

I went to McDonalds, got a coffee, and logged on to their Internet to look for Triumph dealerships in the area. The nearest was in Anchorage, AK with the next closest in Tacoma, WA. I called the dealer in Anchorage and the service manager said he would check it out when I brought it in...that is 700 miles away. What to do...???...go to D2D and hope it would heal itself or take off to Anchorage. I decided to have a BigMac meal and get the bike fixed. So after riding all day from Haines to Whitehorse I started for Anchorage at 5:00pm figuring I would go until I got tired and rest and continue to Anchorage after some sleep. Well, there’s not much traffic at night on the Al Can Hwy...cars and campers just pull over when they are tired and sleep.  I must have passed at least a hundred such travelers. At about 5 minutes after midnight I stopped and took some incredible pictures of the southwestern Yukon sky just a few miles from the Alaska line. Anyway I ended up driving all the way to Anchorage arriving about 10am this morning...a real IronButt adventure...it's 7:30pm Alaska time and I'm about ready to hit the sack. Oh yeah...the bike is fixed and the adventure continues tomorrow...more shall be revealed.











1 comment:

  1. Now that school is out maybe I'll be able to keep up with your adventure. Looks like a great trip. I've definitely caught the two wheel bug since I bought my scoot. I would love to take a trip like you are on but I don't think I can pack enough on my Vespa. Enjoy, safe travels, and see you when you get back. Scott

    ReplyDelete